Monday, November 10, 2008

Letter to the editor




Calling all Physical Education Majors, I don't need to tell you how hard it is being in this major, in Essenes were all competing against each other, doing as much as possible in two years to be one of the fortunate who get a job right off the bat. While we may be competing for the same job we are all motivated by the same goal, to help our GROWING young population from growing more then they should be.


I'd like to share a link and a letter I wrote, first the link (Fit School), this is a a program I was reading about several months before, the idea is they went to a particular school and with the aid of professional fitness experts they started a new program, the results of this program were very positive from everyone who was involved. This got me thinking of the possibility of having this program come to SUNY Cortland, or the Cortland School District.
I'd also like to share my letter to the editor, I'm sharing this with the intent to have someone see this and follow suite, lets do our part guys as future Cortland grads
Hi, my name is Dustin Pritzert and I've been meaning to write this letter for far to long, I remember reading your article about the Mens Health Fit School and it got me thinking of the potential for the program if instead of changing one school at a time you instead changed hundreds of schools at a time. I’m sure you saying, yeah that would be great but how? The answer to that question is instead of going to the problem, go to the source, which would be us, the student's who will be teaching for the next 30 years.
In our Physical Education program some of our unique curriculum’s include Self Defense, Adventure Activities, and Recreational Dance (you'd be amazed how many steps you take when you strap on a pedometer) all from grades k-12.
We also take the initiative in offering creative student created curriculum's such as Parkour, Dance Dance Revolution, and Ultimate Frisbee, just to name a few of the activities that veer away from the tried and true seasonal sport of the moment style of dinosaur PE.
As a student of Cortland we take extreme pride in having the best nationally ranked Physical Education program in the United States and I’m greatly looking forward to your reply, whether it be a yes or a no, oh and me being the persistent type, I’m going to mail this letter every day until I get a reply. Thank you.

So there you have it guys, perhaps this is my lone crusade however I'd love some input and any involvement anyone would like to share would be appreciated and welcomed.



Dustin Pritzert

Suny Cortland Physical Education Major.

No comments: